Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fall Memories

I'm sure a lot of people are like me in this regard, but certain things tend to always trigger specific memories and feelings for me. For example, when I was younger, I dreaded fall because it meant back-to-school and I hated going back to school after summer vacation. I had associated such a negative feeling towards it that I couldn't bring myself to appreciate what a great season it really is. When I started to work, I began to figure out that it's not so bad after all. For the past 3 years, I've opted to take my 2 weeks' vacation at the end of September because the weather would be perfect - no overwhelming heat or mugginess. I had taken my official 2 weeks earlier this year because I was moving but I will probably end up using two more weeks before the year's out.

When I woke up this morning, it was pretty chilly and I didn't really want to get out from under my covers. It was so warm and cozy there. But at that moment, I got a really good feeling that rushed through me; the feeling of October baseball. No longer did I dread fall. No, I had embraced it. A bunch of great moments from the Yankees' post seasons past came back to me as I recounted Donnie Baseball's first playoff appearance and coincidentally his last year as a Yankee, Mr. November Derek Jeter, Jim Leyritz' homerun against the Braves to turn the series around, losing my voice after Aaron Bleeping Boone's hr verses the horrid Red Sox, Wetland's filthy cap, Paul Oneill tumbling over the pile of Yankees over the pitcher's mound after they won, Wade Boggs riding the horse around the park... man I love baseball. Just typing the last paragraph put a smile to my face. :-)

I don't understand how anyone would not want to be a Yankee fan in the fall. I believe that I've once spotted Elmer Fudd wearing a Yankees cap. "Oh those wascally Wed Sox!" :-)

1 comment:

White Toast with Butter said...

Why must everyone be a fan of the Yankees? Huh? Huh?