Monday, September 17, 2007

Ankit's Nose Is Like A Rubber Hose!

My 9th grade Latin teacher, Mr. Martin, used to sing that in class. He also once drew a profile of me on the chalkboard w/ a realllly big nose hahaha. He's lucky that I have a good sense of humor! But seriously, that guy was awesome. I hope he's doing well.

Anyways, this new-post-a-day thing is kind of hard. I try to keep my subjects interesting - not just run in the mill stuff - so it's hard to think up interesting topics. I wonder how shows that air daily keep up the quality of their content. Well they have a team working on it so it's probably easier. Anyways, I digress.

My dada (grandfather) has been staying over for the past few weeks and I really like having him here. However, I can't help but feel that he feels isolated. I mean, in India, he knew everyone in the neighborhood and was a part of various organizations. Here, there aren't as many Indians in the neighborhood and during the day most of the family goes to work so there's not much else to do. He's a sharp guy so I know he needs to keep his mind active. He does go for walks to the Indian Senior Citizens center on Kennedy Blvd every once in a while and that's the closest he gets to attaining the contact he's used to. His situation isn't unheard of in our society. Many elderly people who do not have the means to go where they want, when they want and don't have a polished handle of the English language do feel isolated for much of the day. I'm sure this can be very frustrating for those that are used to enjoying a much more active lifestyle. That's why I think that the Senior Citizen's association is so important. Or going back to my previous post, it's also why the mandir is important for them. It gives them a place to re-form a community with those who can relate to them.

No comments: