Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Murphy's Law

Ok, if you are easily bored by computer talk, stop reading right here.

So the crap hit the fan today at work. At 8 AM, our DS3 line went down. Blah, I thought someone cut the cable again but that was not the case. If that were the case, then maybe we'd luck out and be the 3rd client up and running like last time :-) But I called our provider and found out that there was a fire and/or a possible battery explosion in Verizon's central office in Newark. So it really hit the fan then. Some clients came up pretty quickly but not us. It took us until 2-ish to get connection back. In the meantime, my manager was luckily at our disaster site so he was able to get people up and running there. The support guys at our provider must be so annoyed with me. I kept calling like every 10 minutes to get updates. We weren't the only one's affected but I didn't care! Then once we were back up we had email problems. It was a loooong day.

If this happened on any other day, it wouldn't have been AS bad. I mean, don't get me wrong; it's insane to not have connectivity for 6 hours, but it was much worse today. You see, today was month-end so pretty much every group in the company is swamped. To top it off, we're going to finalize an asset transfer for a major client tomorrow so we needed to prepage. And of course, whenever we have a major network/system outage, our group is under-staffed. haha it's so funny how it always ends up that way.

I was so exhausted when I left work that I almost fell asleep on the bus. When I got out of the bus, I looked out way, way into the distance and I saw fireworks. I don't know why there were fireworks today. But I was walking in the general direction of Newark. Verizon better not have another fire!

No comments: