Sunday, February 11, 2007

Idle Mind

I had signed up for a Network Security night class at BMCC and it got postponed until the summer semester because there weren't enough people enrolled in the class. :-( Oh well. It's funny because when I signed up for my CCNA I class at BMCC, it got postponed for a semester as well. That wasn't so bad because my mind had been idle for so long that another 3 months didn't hurt. But it's different now. I really wanted this class to start because I can't be stagnant any longer! The CCNA class also went through the entire summer and I sort of felt like I lost a summer. And now if this class does start next summer, then I'll end up spending another summer in class. blah! Plus what complicates this matter is that I had gotten approved for partial tuition reimbursement from work. So now I have to work out with HR to move the money allocated to me until next semester.

But my mind won't stay idle. I have resources. I've been buying books left and right on network security and MCSE and I also have a whole bunch of CBT's from work that I can make use of. It's so hard to study at home because it's so noisy and there are so many distractions. Plus if I'm studying at home, it's a given that someone will ask me to do something and I'll be called away from my reading. I had studied at Dunkin Donuts with S before but that place's anti-loitering policy is in direct conflict with the loitering involved when one studies. So I'm thinking of going to Starbucks near work or maybe the Wiley's cafeteria in our building. I'll go right after work and read for a couple of hours a few times a week - Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. I think it's easier if you make a routine out of it. Plus since I haven't done much reading after work, I feel like I should be productive during the weekends. And that takes away from doing fun things during the weekend. So this after-work studying sounds like a plan to me. S is invited to study with me too but we'll see how that goes with her starting a new job and all. I start my study routine tomorrow! Yay!

No comments: