Friday, March 6, 2009

Opportunity

S and I were talking today and she mentioned that one of her coworkers is paying $800 a month for their kid's preschool. An outrageous a sum though it may be, I understand why the parents would be willing to spend this amount of money for it. One doesn't really spend $800 on preschool for the education it affords. They spend it because of the opportunities which the school will provide for their child's future. It's always been a dog-eat-dog world out there, but I presume that the notch has been raised for what constitutes providing opportunities for your kid. When I was young, the opportunity my parents provided me was a move to America and a public school education. It was quite the classic immigrant story. However, today is a different day than it was 25 years ago. Colleges are so competitive and so is the job market. Heck, if you don't stand out then your job may even be outsourced. So if someone has the means to do so, then why wouldn't they send their kid to a premier preschool?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks =0)